Saturday, March 7, 2009

CPAN module updates

CPAN goodness
In the CPAN shell, if you type 'h' you will get a compact help menu.
I was wondering if it was possible to list all the modules on your system that have an update available on CPAN. After a few Google searches, it turned out that the answer was already in the help menu:

Upgrade r WORDs or /REGEXP/ or NONE report updates for some/matching/all modules

I initially did type "cpan> r" but nothing visible was happening and I interrupted the command. It actually takes more than a few seconds to list them all, I guess it depends on the number of installed modules on your system. An indicator showing that the process is alive would be nice to have. More patience would be nice to have also (on my side). Here's what the report gave on my system (click to enlarge):

CPAN reportThis is how I noticed that the Net::Twitter module had been bumped to version 2.10 from 2.06.
The change log can be found here.
I typed "upgrade Net::Twitter" in the cpan shell and I was set.

Padre v0.28
Trying to upgrade Padre (change log for Padre version 0.28) using "upgrade Padre" was a failure.
I had to pull out the "force install Padre" command. I'll have to investigate if the problem still happens for next release. Maybe there's something wrong with my setup.

Larry Wall quote of the day:
"What is the sound of Perl? Is it not the sound of a wall that people have stopped banging their heads against?"



1 comment :

  1. The -O (capital oh) command to cpan does this:

    % cpan -O

    ReplyDelete